The Tighe and Breyfogle department store, which was the cornerstone of Madera’s business community for years, had an inauspicious beginning. When its founder, William Tighe came to town in 1891, he hopped off the train as it pulled into the local depot with just a few dollars in his pocket. It just so happened that at the time there was a store on East Yosemite Avenue owned by a man named Harris who took a liking to the energetic young man and put him to work. Within a few months, Bill was a partner in the firm, and he developed it into a city landmark. This photograph shows the exterior of the store, which was located on the north side of Yosemite Avenue between D and C Streets. The Wells Fargo Bank is now located on the site.